Test Pressing Basics
Every vinyl order, except for the Essential Groove Bundle, includes 4 test pressings. They are used for proofing your vinyl record before full production begins. Here are key points to know:
- Test pressings should not be used to gauge the quality of your mix or mastering work. Please make sure you are 100% happy with your recordings before submitting your master for vinyl manufacturing.
- Test pressings ship approximately 4-6 weeks after approval of your art proofs.
- Test pressings are shipped to the delivery address entered at the time of order, with a generic proof label, and are packaged in plain white inner sleeves.
- If we need to create a new set of test pressings because of an error on the master you provided, an $800 fee will apply (it covers mastering, plating, and new test pressings).
Tips for reviewing your test pressings:
- You may gently clean your test pressings with a microfiber cloth to remove any dust that may have settled on the grooves. Dusty grooves can cause pops or clicks in playback.
- Ensure that the turntable you're using is a quality player with a properly weighted tonearm. Many entry-level turntables have tonearms that are not adjustable and either too light or too heavy, which causes skipping in playback. This is an issue related to the player, not the test pressing.
- If there is an issue with one of your test pressings and not the others, that is good news! That means the issue or defect is isolated to that test pressing, rather than your vinyl master. In most cases, a dusty groove or an improperly weighted tonearm is the culprit and both are an easy fix.